Cedars-Sinai Clinical Nurse II - PerDiem in Santa Monica, California
Clinical Nurse II - PerDiem Requisition # M12046
The Clinical Nurse II, a Registered Nurse, will function to assist oncology patients in receiving medical care and treatment. She/he will interact directly with patients, both in person and at the time of clinic appointments and visits, as well as by telephone, to respond to inquiries. This position functions as an Oncology Registered Nurse performing professional clinical duties in the infusion clinic to provide quality patient care.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Such duties include, but are not limited to:
- Mix and administer chemotherapy/biotherapy, clinical trial drugs within established guidelines, as well as, maintaining supplies of needed chemotherapy drugs and medications.
- Following chemotherapy/biotherapy protocols and clinical trial protocols as written and after proper in-service.
- Responsible for overseeing medical assistant/LVNs in infusion center.
- Responsible for checking charts each afternoon prior to the day’s appointments.
- Responsible for making sure protocol is signed off by physician and authorization obtained from billing office.
- Carry out physicians’ orders in a professional and timely manner.
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion of daily charge slips.
- Draw blood samples as appropriate and perform phlebotomies.
- Interact with patients and offer advice and counsel to patients. Advise physicians of patient’s needs and recommended interventions.
- Receive patient telephone calls and intervene appropriately for that patient’s specific needs in a timely manner. Alert physician as needed to patient needs that require physician intervention.
- Follow up with patients as needed by telephone, to ensure compliance with treatment guidelines and to evaluate changing or uncertain clinical situations.
- Participate in patient education, including use of handouts, videos, audio materials, and other educational devices. The patient, family members or friends may need education related to specific cancers, chemotherapy, antiemetic agents, side effects, venous access devices, procedures, and informal emotional counseling.
- Interact appropriately with other members of the clinical team and office personnel. Communicating in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Maintain appropriate records of clinical activities.
- Advise supervisor, physicians, or administrator of potential or actual problems.
- Participate in planning workshops, evaluation meetings, seminars, educational or administrative meetings as necessary or requested.
- Maintain scheduling of chemotherapy treatments, outside labs and other tests as needed.
- Review and adhere to department policies and procedures to maintain proficiency in operating guidelines.
- Maintain confidentiality when performing all duties and responsibilities.
- Assist with specimen testing as needed.
- Maintain a respectable and courteous manner with but not limited to all patients, families, physicians, employees, offices, pharmacies, and hospitals.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers in completion of daily tasks or special projects to support the department’s efficiency.
- Seek guidance and direction, as necessary, for the successful completion of job duties, ask appropriate questions when in doubt.
- Perform other similar or related duties as necessary within scope of license, using down-time to help in other areas and /or as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain appropriate records, notification of time worked, vacations, seminars, and professional time commitments related to this position. Assist with providing adequate coverage.
- Responsible for infection prevention (Hand Washing, Use of PPEs, and Environmental Prep) throughout the shift.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities EDUCATION:
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
• Current California RN license
• Current Bio-Chemotherapy Certification required
• CPR (BCLS) Certified
• Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) preferred
• BSN preferred
• Minimum of two years postgraduate nursing experience and one-year experience in oncology nursing.
• Experienced and proficient in peripheral IV/central line access and phlebotomy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT (work environments, hazards and exposures the employee may encounter on the job): Work in a generally clean environment, but may be exposed to chemotherapy, chemotherapy-contaminated waste, and infectious materials including blood, body fluids and possible communicable diseases. Work environment requires the use of protective barriers, such as gowns, gloves, masks and goggles/protective face shield to ensure protection especially when mixing and or administering chemotherapy, hazardous drugs, or contact with blood or bodily fluids.
• Occasional prolonged standing, walking, sitting
• High viewing of computer screen
• High volume of patient interaction and by telephone
• Lifting, pushing, pulling up to 50 lbs. and up to 250 lbs. with assistance
- Working Title: Clinical Nurse II - PerDiem
- Business Entity: MDN - Medical Delivery Network
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0162000 - Angeles Clinic - Santa Monica
- City: Santa Monica
- Job Category: Nursing
- Job Specialty: Outpatient Clinics
- Position Type: Regular-F/T
- Shift Length: 10hr
- Hours: 8:00am - 6:30pm
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Shift Type: Day
- Weekends: None
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.