Cedars-Sinai Tissue Collection Technician in Los Angeles, California
Tissue Collection Technician Requisition # 29911
Summary of Essential Job Duties:
The primary area of responsibility is collecting body fluids and remnant tissue from patients who have provided consent to participate in the Cedars-Sinai Biobank. Biologic specimens are collected in operating rooms, hospital procedure rooms, or clinics. In addition, clinical information is entered into existing study databases. This person is responsible for monitoring clinic and surgery schedules and being present for collections as the schedule dictates. As an integral member of the research team the technician is expected to participate in development of collection procedures and to perform administrative activities in support of specimen collection.
The technician is specifically responsible for the following activities:
• Perform blood/tissue collection and data collection/entry
• Monitor operating room schedules (OR)
• Prepare the collection for receiving biospecimens
• Interact with OR staff to collect specimens
• Obtain a copy of the signed consent
• Process blood according to standard operating procedures (SOP)
• Work with personnel in the pathology lab to collect tissue according to SOPs
• Monitor refrigerator, ice and liquid nitrogen levels to ensure safe storage of biological specimens.
• Enter tissue acquisition parameters into the study database
• Enter data into the study databases in a timely manner
• Collect patient clinical data from doctors' offices
• Determine if there are opportunities for improving workflow within specified job functions and reporting those to her/his supervisor
• Other related duties where appropriate
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities Educational Requirements:
BA/BS, or equivalent, with experience in laboratory, research and/or clinical environments.
Independence, initiative, a commitment to high quality work, careful attention to detail, excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work as part of a team in a dynamic work environment required. Must have excellent organizational skills, familiarity with medical terminology, problem-solving capabilities, and the ability to work with all levels of an organization. Effectiveness in this position requires a high level of self-motivation and the willingness and ability to take ownership of the work and do whatever is necessary for its successful completion.
Physical Demands: (e.g., lifting, standing, walking)
Able to perform moderate lifting. Able to sit, stand and walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to read papers and online documents. Able to operate standard office equipment. Able to exercise physical ability and perspective acuity to satisfactorily perform essential job functions.
- Working Title: Tissue Collection Technician
- Business Entity: CSMC - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0861060 - Pathology Group Operations
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Research/Research Admin
- Job Specialty: Research
- Position Type: Regular-F/T
- Shift Length: 8hr
- Hours: 9am - 5:30pm
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Shift Type: Day
- Weekends: As Needed
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.