Cedars-Sinai Medical Lab Assistant CPT - Per Diem in Los Angeles, California
Medical Lab Assistant CPT - Per Diem Requisition # M12148
Coordinates all daily functions for the laboratory inclusive of but not limited to phlebotomy accessioning, processing, analyzing, and reporting of specimen results to ensure quality patient care. Operating clinical lab instruments utilized for test, performing required daily preventative maintenance and quality control.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Such duties include but are not limited to:
- Arrive on time and ready to work as needed to provide coverage for the laboratory.
- Performs accurate analysis of laboratory specimens, demonstrating a moderate degree of proficiency and understanding in laboratory procedures and demonstrates competency to facilitate quality patient care and diagnosis.
- Participate in solution of technical problems requiring great degree of independent judgment.
- Ensures compliance with the State of California and Federal licensing/accrediting standards (CLIA), including but not limited to safety, CPR, infection control, quality management, environmental, confidentiality, and patient care.
- Identified other learning needs and demonstrates measures to meet these.
- Demonstrates applied knowledge when caring for selected patient populations including care appropriate to the age of patient served.
- Demonstrates competency in selected skills including, but not limited to:
a. Performing specimen analysis.
b. Completing daily department QC and preventative maintenance.
c. Preparing reagents and coordinating department supplies as needed.
d. Maintaining records of reports and department statistics for analyzers.
- Maintains efficient flow of work throughout the practice by evaluating procedures and volume of work required at various periods of time throughout the day.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional practice in regards to:
a. Attendance, punctuality and confidentiality.
b. Positive public relation image and working relationships.
c. Obtaining necessary knowledge and skill needed to maintain competence.
d. Completing all mandatory requirements, including infection control and safety seminars or manual reviews.
- Responsible for inventory of supplies and equipment, restocking of supplies and reagants.
- Maintain appropriate records of laboratory activities such as purchase order forms for lab supplies, quality control data, quality assurance and maintenance records.
- Participate in educational workshops, meetings, and seminars.
- Review and adhere to department policies or procedures to maintain proficiency in operating guidelines.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers in completion of daily tasks or special projects to support the department’s efficiency.
- Seek guidance and direction, as necessary, for the successful completion of job duties; ask appropriate questions when in doubt.
- Maintain appropriate records/notification of time worked, vacations, seminars, overtime, and professional commitments related to this position.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Associate College Degree in Lab Sciences preferred.
• HLT preferred.
• Valid CPT License
• 3-5 years of clinical lab bench experience in processing and performing testing on patient samples.
• Have knowledge of hematology analyzer, routine chemistry analyzer, specimen processing and handling specimen send outs.
• Able to make reagents and set-up lab instruments for testing.
• Able to run testing analyzers and prepare patient test reports for final review.
• Ability to deal effectively with many people, excellent human relations and oral communication skills.
• Must be able to prioritize, organize and coordinate care.
• Must have a quality service attitude and put in extra hours to meet patient/clinic needs.
• Must be proficient in phlebotomy skills.
• Able to work carefully and efficiently under stressful situations.
- Exposed to noise, electrical, chemical and sharps hazards.
- Moderate sitting/walking/standing.
- High volume of patient interaction and prolonged viewing of computer screens.
- Requires good physical and emotional health.
- Lifting, pushing and pulling up to 50 lbs. and 200 lbs. with assistance.
- Continuous hand/finger movements.
- Working Title: Medical Lab Assistant CPT - Per Diem
- Business Entity: MDN - Medical Delivery Network
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0162100 - Angeles Clinic - Wilshire
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Allied Health/Clinical
- Job Specialty: Other Allied Health
- Position Type: Per Diem
- Shift Length: 8hr
- Hours: Departmental Schedule
- Days: Departmental Schedule
- Shift Type: Day
- Weekends: None
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.