Cedars-Sinai Genetic Counselor I in Los Angeles, California
Genetic Counselor I Requisition # 29941
Summary of Essential Job Duties: The Genetic Counselor will provide genetic counseling following established genetic counseling practice guidelines in a variety of settings including adult and pediatric cancer genetics clinics and other settings as appropriate.
• Responsible for analyzing the intake information and determining if appropriate appointments have been scheduled.
• Ensures proper completion of counseling paperwork.
• Interacts and communicates regularly with the clinical staff
• Responsible for the communication of both normal and abnormal results and coordinating appropriate follow-up with supervising genetic counselor and physician.
• May provide case management for complex genetic cases, including coordinating medical recommendations, testing, and ongoing counseling.
• Provides crisis intervention and psychosocial counseling regarding genetic conditions; makes referrals for ongoing care and support.
• Acts as consultant to referring physicians regarding highly specialized genetic information pertinent to the management of their patients.
• Participates in regular staff meetings; works to establish her/himself as a team member, providing coverage for colleagues as necessary.
• Provides genetic counseling in accordance w/applicable standards of professional care, e.g., compliance with GDB/AFP Program regulations.
• Attends continuous education courses, attends meetings, and reviews medical literature.
• Stays current in GC field.
Masters Degree in Genetic Counseling
ABGC eligible or certified (or equivalent). Expected to obtain ABGC/ABMG certification. State of California Genetic Counselor License is required.
Can be a new grad with zero to two (0-2) years’ experience in genetic counseling. Ability to work independently. Demonstrates refined analytic and diagnostic reasoning skills. Ability to clearly explain complex medical information in both verbal and written form. Demonstrates organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. Computer experience preferred. Bilingual skills a plus.
Physical Demands: (e.g., lifting, standing, walking)
Able to lift twenty-five (25) pounds. Able to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time. Able to handle multiple tasks, frequently with short time frames, prioritize and organize work and to complete assignments in a timely fashion.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities
- Working Title: Genetic Counselor I
- Business Entity: CSMC - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0879064 - Cancer Institute
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Allied Health/Clinical
- Job Specialty: Other Allied Health
- Position Type: Regular-F/T
- Shift Length: 8hr
- Hours: 8:30am - 5pm
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Shift Type: Day
- Weekends: As Needed
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.