Cedars-Sinai Director, Primary Care and Surgical Services Lines in Los Angeles, California
Director, Primary Care and Surgical Services Lines Requisition # M12139
The Director, Clinical Operations reports to the Vice President, Operations and is responsible for clinical processes and procedures across the multiple outpatient sites of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Network. This position works collaboratively with the Director, Operations and the operational management team to ensure the efficient functioning of clinical operations across specialties, programs and departments. Works closely with operational and physician leadership to meet the needs of patients, staff and physicians and supports the mission and vision of Cedars-Sinai Health System in the provision of excellent ambulatory care and the efficient and effective functioning of clinical processes. The Director functions as a key liaison with physicians and staff, actively supports staff growth and development, provides mentoring of staff in the building of cohesive patient care teams and acts as a patient advocate. The Director plays an important role in the development and evaluation of new models of care and the establishment of new specialties, procedures and practice sites.
This position promotes the consistent enactment of and provides oversight for the values of Cedars-Sinai and partners with the Vice President, Clinical Operations, in the strategic planning, development and budgetary oversight for clinical functions throughout the Medical Network physician practices and groups. A successful leader in this position must be well-organized, open-minded, decisive, and flexible and demonstrate an ability to communicate well with others, work as a team, and lead others by example and direction. Strong writing skills and extensive computer experience and knowledge of the medical, insurance and basic health-care industries are necessary. Key will be an ability to promote the consistent enactment of the values of the Cedars-Sinai Health System and the Medical Delivery Network and ensure a steady focus on the needs of patients, physicians and staff.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees classified in this job. Other/additional duties may be assigned.
• Planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring of projects and initiatives relating to operations, and ensuring they are consistent with strategic mission;
• Ensures compliance with state and federal laws, professional and regulatory agency standards and licensure requirements. Maintains staff compliance with health system and Foundation policies, procedures and protocols;
• Understands and supports the business requirements and fiscal structure of the Foundation, including patient assignment, risk and specialty network structures, and utilization management. Functions as key resource for staff and physicians in support of these requirements;
• Assumes fiscal responsibility for areas of oversight, including budget preparation, expense control and revenue enhancement. In collaboration with Executive management and operational team, develops business and operations plans for assigned areas, programs and services;
• In collaboration with operational and medical leadership, establishes effective patient care processes and workflows. Develops and supports policies and procedures that support the provision of quality and timely patient care services. Ensures appropriate physician, locum, physician extender, technician and staff coverage for immediate areas of responsibility. Participates in the evaluation and review of all human resources and communicates issues appropriately.
• Maintains appropriate quality control programs and partners proactively with risk, quality, safety and clinical operations leadership to ensure continuous monitoring and improvement in provision of clinical services.
• Functions as key resource for staff and physicians in utilization of key information systems and technologies. Assumes responsibility as practice liaison for the resolution of system related issues, identification of opportunities for improvement and implementation of key systems and system and workflow enhancements.
• Supervises employees in immediate areas of oversight, including administrative and clinical staff. In conjunction with executive and medical leadership, provides direct administrative oversight and mentoring of physician extenders. Assesses qualifications and hires candidates, assumes responsibility for the assessment and improvement of competencies, work assignments and schedules, orienting, coaching, training, in-services, performance evaluation, compensation, mentoring, discipline and terminating employment. Partners with appropriate departments in the necessary execution of these duties (e.g. clinical services, risk, quality, human resources).
• Functions as a role model and demonstrates leadership to promote collaborative teamwork, cross-training and flexing of staff across operational areas, open communication and problem solving to ensure effective coordination and integration of services between operational areas and programs. Demonstrates consistent ability to promote, enhance and support the organizational culture;
• Effectively manages staff and materials in direct areas of oversight, including the development of effective short and long-term staffing plans, cross-training of staff where appropriate and effective and oversight and management of productivity. Makes recommendations for effective staff and space utilization. Ensures areas of direct responsibility are responsibly and effectively structured and supported to ensure physician productivity and to provide a strong foundation for staff and patient satisfaction.
• Takes appropriate steps to ensure appropriate daily staffing of all areas of responsibility, including volunteering of services when qualified in situations of inappropriately lean staffing. Ensures own knowledge of staff processes to facilitate all necessary human resources efforts. Participates in selecting outside sources for needed services and provides review and oversight for those services.
• Ensures proper documentation and communication of program activities
• Maintains strong partnership and collaborative communication across the Foundation and with associated service departments of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Network. Serves as liaison for areas of operational responsibility with facilities management, patient billing, utilization management, quality, risk, human resources and payroll.
• Functions as a positive, creative and effective leader, actively participating in performance improvement, problem-solving and development of new concepts that enhance the function of area operations.
• Participates in the design and supports the operational implementation of organizational restructuring, new workflows, processes, programs and technologies within a department and in conjunction with multiple departments or specialties.
• Plans and implements programs in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization.
• Participates in strategic planning and program development.
• Proactively manages change, including the transitions of new physicians and programs; develop specific transition plans to ensure successful implementation.
• Identifies and develops process improvement plans for new and existing programs/processes.
• Develops a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement; ensures best practices are in place, developing improvement plans to achieve best practice when necessary.
• Demonstrates behavior that supports the mission, vision and values of the Cedars-Sinai Health System. Demonstrates ability to effectively and consistently communicate vision and values throughout all levels of areas of responsibility and organization.
• Communicates and models high standards of professional, responsible, accountable and ethical behavior.
• Promotes an organizational focus by establishing goals consistent with organizational goals, facilitating collaboration and coordination for cross-departmental problem solving and supporting new concepts that enhance the functioning of operations.
• Demonstrates daily leadership, in particular an ability to navigate change, identify opportunities for improvement and function as a role model. Actively participates in initiatives to enhance the performance and stature of the organization. Demonstrates an ability to identify and effectively communicate benefits of organizational initiatives.
• Demonstrates ability to effectively lead through the development of strong physician, staff and colleague relationships. Assumes responsibility for understanding and representing the needs of constituency and for negotiating effective partnership between organization needs and needs of constituents in areas of responsibility.
• Serves as a role model for areas of responsibility and for the organization, demonstrating the organizational values of teamwork, participatory leadership and proactive problem-solving and communication. Provides a consistent and meaningful focus on customer service and functions as an effective mentor for staff and physicians in the provision of excellent customer service. Functions as an advocate for all patients and their needs.
• Promotes and maintains a positive work environment with an open, communicative and collaborative approach that supports staff development, ensures employees’ ability to contribute and supports organizational values of fairness and consistency.
• Supports the ongoing development of teamwork by personally demonstrating those values and sharing resources, information and ideas. Contributes to the effective functioning of the organization by willingly taking on new assignments as requested and by volunteering for additional assignments as the need arises.
• Makes effective decisions that reflect clear and logical thinking;
• Demonstrates flexibility in examining and implementing new approaches in response to changing organizational objectives.
ORGANIZATIONAL EXPECTATIONS AND VALUES:
• Takes responsibility for demonstrating competence, understanding organization objectives, initiating ideas and guiding others.
• Verbally promotes the image of Cedars-Sinai Health System, Cedars-Sinai Medical Delivery Network and the Foundation within that network in a positive manner to patients, colleagues and community. Actively supports this positive promotion with others.
• Participates in continuing education and demonstrates initiative in keeping up-to-date with relevant professional developments and organizational needs. Attends all required organizational orientation and training and ensures own ability to master specific needs of organizational areas of responsibility.
• Contributes to the achievement of high performing teams throughout the organization and in own areas of responsibility. Shares information, resources and ideas. Assists in integrating new staff into these values through mentoring and coaching. Recognizes the need for extra assignments and volunteers to take them on.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities QUALIFICATIONS:
• Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in a demanding and busy work environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred. Eight or more years medical office experience, preferably in a multi-specialty medical group setting, previous medical office management and/or supervisory experience, or equivalent education and experience. Billing experience advantageous.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated critical thinking, problem-solving and analytic skills.
• Demonstrated team-building and consensus-seeking skills.
• Proven ability to lead and manage people, including selecting, developing, motivating and retaining.
• Fiscal management skills and proven ability to prepare, monitor and control budgetary expenses, generate increased productivity and revenues and demonstrate strong analytical proficiency in the analysis of productivity and profitability.
• Ability to promote effective collaboration and teamwork across organizational units.
• Ability to coordinate multiple and diverse points of view to facilitate a successful and positive outcome.
• Ability to work well with diverse teams and coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities.
• Experience providing leadership to operations teams in an ambulatory setting.
• Knowledge of regulatory, reimbursement, legal and policy issues as they relate to operational management.
• Proven track record with customer service, training, and ability to motivate others to effect positive change.
• Strong computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office, Epic/CS-Link or other computerized practice management and EMR systems.
• Physical ability and perceptive acuity to satisfactorily perform all direct and indirect operational functions.
• Strong knowledge and experience in understanding operational impact on finances, costs and efficiency.
- Working Title: Director, Primary Care and Surgical Services Lines
- Business Entity: MDN - Medical Delivery Network
- Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0109000 - Operations
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Management/Professional
- Job Specialty: Manager
- Position Type: Regular-F/T
- Shift Length: 8hr
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Shift Type: Day
- Weekends: None
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu). For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine (typically during September through March each year) as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued employment.